This building currently houses the Ministry of Justice, but originally, it was constructed as a public elementary school between 1865 and 1877. The U-shaped structure initially featured a single floor with open galleries along the inner walls for optimal ventilation. In 1891, due to the decision to segregate boys and girls, it transformed into a girls’ school and was later named after the Dutch Queen Wilhelmina from 1903 onwards. Ultimately, the building no longer met the required standards, and after 1954, it served various government functions. A notable change occurred during the 1992 renovation when the original open galleries on both floors were enclosed with wooden latticework.
Name of property:
Detached two-storey structure with U-shaped floor plan. Main building and two side wings at front side; gallery built against inner façades of U-shape. Hipped roofs with cement hips and ridges over main section and wings, lean-to roofs over gallery. Profiled cornice over façades of main section and wings. Original structure with one-storey set-up; second floor added on main section and wings in 1934 and 1940 respectively.
Architectural historical value because of a.o. the U- shaped set-up with a gallery on inner sides of the U-shape. Cultural historical value because this was the former Wilhelmina school. Specific value as part of a protected monumental townscape.
Second half of 19th century