Name of property:
Fort Amsterdam & Governor’s Palace
Trapezium-shaped fortification dating back from 1635. Four bastions (Vlaggestok, Nieuwe Batterij, De Klok, De Kat) connected by curtain walls. The fort houses the Governor’s palace, the Fort Church (1766) and the former General Secretary (1857). The Governor’s Palace is built between the western bastions as a two storey structure made up of two adjoining elongated pavilions covered with hipped roofs. Ground floor of palace provides entrance gateway to fort.
Architectural historical and cultural historical value as one of the oldest structures on the island and the oldest fort built by the Dutch West India Company (WIC), and as seat of government way back from the WIC until nowadays. Specific value as part of a protected monumental townscape.
17th, 18th and 19th century