In 1859, Cathalina Isenia Helm bought the remaining section of a piece of land she already owned for some years. There were already five existing annex buildings on the property, to which she added another one. These annexes now make up the present buildings 36-46. Each annex consisted of just one room and was often inhabited by large families. The existing annexes were likely the oldest buildings on Cathalina’s extensive property and did not have indoor cooking and sanitary facilities.
According to Cathalina’s grandchild Charles (Chacha) Henriquez (1877-1958), during that period, the wealthy and the less fortunate living in annexes coexisted peacefully and offered mutual support when necessary.
Name of property:
Semi-detached structure consisting of four row-houses. Part of building complex Langestraat 40-54. Slant roof with high end towards yard. Two dwellings with door, other two with door and window.
Specific value as part of a protected monumental townscape.
Not listed in Register of Monuments