Description
Before these corner premises were built in 1858, there was already a small cottage, ‘consisting of two rooms with galleys’ on this site. Cornelis C. de Windt bought the property in 1856 and promptly transferred it to his son, Johannes Karel, who then constructed the two-story house. Given that De Windt owned multiple properties, it is likely that the building was continuously rented out, both during his ownership and under the subsequent owner, goldsmith, and merchant Richard Raven Gz. In the 20th century, the grandmother of herbalist Dinah Veeris ran a window store from the ground floor, selling kerosene and candy. Stichting Monumentenzorg Curaçao restored the building in 2007. Since Raven’s ownership, the house has been divided into a ground-floor apartment and an upper-floor apartment.
Name of property:
None
Characteristics:
Semi-detached two-story corner structure ranging with the alley. Gable roof over the core area, adjoining slant roofs over the front and rear gallery. Two dormers on both sides of the roof. Funnel-shaped gables with shoulders, 19th-century top end, and oculus in star molding. Front façade with cornice laid out in three axes with three shutter windows on the first floor and two doors and a window on the ground floor. Tablet with inscription ‘1858 332′ on façade.
Monument value:
Architectural historical and esthetical value because of a.o. the prominent location on a corner and because of the 19th-century gable ends. Architectural historical and cultural-historical value because of a.o. the floor plan with core, front, and rear galleries typical of Curaçao. Specific value as part of a protected monumental townscape.
Construction period:
1858






